Louisville Karaoke
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ASCAP Shuts down Karaoke at the Bulldog Cafe

2 posters

Go down

ASCAP Shuts down Karaoke at the Bulldog Cafe Empty ASCAP Shuts down Karaoke at the Bulldog Cafe

Post  Admin Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:28 pm

ASCAP (American Society of Composers Authors and Publishers) made a visit to The Bulldog Cafe in Fairdale last night and informed the owner that if he has Karaoke at his cafe without a license, he will face heavy fines. They stated that if a business profits from recorded music through the radio, jukebox, or KARAOKE they must have a ASCAP license. The cost for this license is $500.00 a year.
So, at least temporally, karaoke at the Bulldog has been canceled. I will keep you posted.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://louisville-karaoke.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

ASCAP Shuts down Karaoke at the Bulldog Cafe Empty ASCAP is bulldogging Bull Dog Cafe

Post  kelboswell Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:06 pm

What I have heard is that ASCAP agents are paid on commission. What I got from both ASCAP and BMI when I started my company in 2003, is that if you do not charge a cover charge or charge specifically to sing karaoke, no royalties are due. This is different than a concert or a jukebox, because people pay specifically to hear the music (either by buying a ticket, or putting a quarter in the slot.) What they told me is that if this is not the case, NO royalties are due. So, if Bulldog Cafe is not charging at the door, or charging to sing, they have nothing to worry about. I'm afraid that they may be a victim of a bullying agent who's looking for a dollar.

Of course by writing this, I'm probably on their radar now.... Oh well. Good thing I'm legal. Smile

kelboswell

Back to top Go down